I have lost my cable connection and i’ll be using the free trials of dial-up that are floating around. I am in search of any dial-up tweaks that anyone might possibly know about. Please let me know if anyone knows of any. There has got to be a way of tweaking this so I can at least get in a game and not time out.
Yeah air there are a couple things you can try… the easy ones are:
-find the telephone jack open it up and clean the connections (corrosion will cause you to lose signal strength)
-hook up to a phone jack that is closest to the “line in” to your house
-if you know a little about phone wiring (internet has diagrams) run a “new” line to your computer location and run it straight to the “line in” junction and clean those connections as well
doing just those increased my connection from 29kps to 51kps… and that was enough that i NEVER had problems on WON (back when i had dial up that is)
there are a couple utilities floating around that i had that also helped so i will look for those and get back to ya

For every yesterday there is an infinite tomorrow
Theres also programs that can (say they can) speed up your connection.
Do a google search for one.
You could also try some of these high speed internet options instead of dial up. DSL, Broadband, and cable works pretty good
I get similar problems to air’s, but its mostly just when games start up, i will either lag from the start and get dropped / my connection just fails completely … or it will play really well.
and what really pisses me off is that i cant get any kind of broadband for a damn good while because BT is too damn stingy with upgrading exchanges ![]()
not exactly a bright first post on your forums ![]()
Hi Air,
I had few problems loading games when I had dial-up, I was only getting a 28.8k connection. I’m wondering what your actual connection speed is. Few people actually get close to 56k, a lot only get 33k or so. I had the most trouble in larger games and loading large resource maps. Can you not load any games at all?
Good Luck,
Drew
umm, masterchief, lol, I did have cable, if I had the money I would still have it. Anyway guys, I have fixed my problem, it was the earthlink servers. I was hooking up at 50k with earthlink, which is plenty and I should of had no problems with gaming. I now am using AT&T, and im hooking up at 49k, with no problems with gaming so far. I played a few 3 vs 3’s with stink and I had no lag, no turtle or anything, it was as good as when I had cable. My only problem now is downloads, and I can live with that, as long as I can play HW. Thanks for all the suggestions. ![]()
Ok lets get one thing straight… do you actually get 49K - 50K? (Kilobytes per second im meaning)
Cause on my 56K my download speed comes in at about 5.00kbps to 7.00kbps if im lucky.
I new my modem could handle more when downloading in Kazaa one time when it shot to an amazing 30kbps!
Games handle ok with it so im open to any suggestions.
Zero
***** WARNING * This Post Is To Mock People (like zero) With Slower Connections *****
Only 3-5 kbs on Kazaa… I usualy get 50. Sometimes with a good user 80 and one time i got 120.
***** That Is All *****
Well Z… as far as the Kazaa DLs i would suggest looking at the DL times and the Host computer’s connection… it will give it to you in bandwidth… from there try to use the options for your search to ONLY include certain comptuters that have the highest bandwidths… once you start the Dl then try right clicking the DL and select “find more sources for DL”
that should help some… when i had dial up i was doing those and achieving DL’s of around 17-18 kps some times… and that was on average…
so it is possible to get better with dial up.
as for Chief…i scoff at your PALTRY DL times even with what u think is a “GOOD” dl time…
i can get between 100-400 on average… and i have had it spike at the 900’s once … next time i am DLing songs i will take a screeny to let you guys drewl over it…
LOL
So like I said… any suggestions to boost me conn? programs, procedures .etc